prof. RNDr. Radek Zboøil, Ph.D.
- Palacky University in Olomouc, Faculty of Science, specialization: Chemistry and Mathematics
- Postgraduate study at Department of Inorganic and Physical Chemistry, Palacky University in Olomouc, Ph.D. thesis: Mechanism of Fe2O3 formation during thermal decomposition of intermediates of FeSO4.7H2O
- Ph.D. degree
- associate professor
- researcher at Department of Experimental Physics, Palacky University in Olomouc,
- lecturer at Department of Inorganic and Physical Chemistry, Palacky University
- lecturer at Department of Physical Chemistry, Palacky University
- 2006 -
- associate professor at Department of Physical Chemistry, Palacky University
- 2010 -
- Director of Regional Centre of Advanced Technologies and Materials, Palacky University Olomouc
Synthesis, characterization and applications of iron and iron oxide-based nanomaterials, silver nanoparticles and carbon nanostructures. Testing of nanomaterials e.g. in catalysis, biomedicine and water treatment technologies. Study of mechanism of thermally induced solid-state reactions. Characterization of Fe-bearing materials by M ssbauer spectroscopy (low temperature, high temperature and in-field measurements).
Since 1996, a lecturer from 2000. Selected lectures: Nuclear chemistry, Application of radioisotopes in chemistry, Nanomaterials, Principles of the physical methods of the solid state, Radioecology.
Supervisor of 8 postgraduate students.
- Institute of Materials Sciences, National Center for Scientific Research "Demokritos", Athens, Greece (Prof. Petridis) - synthesis of magnetic nanoparticles for biomedicine
- Wits University, Johannesburg, JAR (Dr. Mulaba) - pressure induced solidstate transformations
- Company ThermoMicroscopes, the branch in Geneva - AFM training
- Department of Physics, University of Ioannina, Greece (Prof. Papaefthymiou) - low temperature M ssbauer spectroscopy
- Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Delaware, USA (Prof. Hadjipanayis) - study of superparamagnetic materials
- Graduate School of Engineering, University of Tokyo, (Prof. Nomura) - TEM training
- Institute for Physical High Technology, Jena (Prof. Muller) - VSM magnetic measurements training
- Author or co-author of more than 90 papers in international journals (70 in impacted journals).
- 17 contributions in books and international proceedings published e.g. by the American Chemical Society, American Institute of Physics and Kluwer.
- Co-editor of the book: M ssbauer spectroscopy in Materials Science, eds. M. Mashlan, R. Zboril, American Institute of Physics, Melville, New York, 2008. ISBN 978-0-7354-0601-8.
- 1 patent
A leader and/or co-investigator of several international projects, e.g.:
- Decontamination of chemical warfare agents by environmentally-friendly oxidants iron(IV) and iron (VI), NATO grant (CBP.EAP.CLG 983119), 2008-2009, the multilateral (six partners) project coordinated by Florida Institute of Technology.
- Iron oxide-based nanomaterials with the novel magnetic properties, synthesis, characterization and technological applications, MøMT/CZE03/013, 2004-2005, bilateral project with Institute for Physical High Technology, Jena.
A leader and/or co-investigator of more than 20 national projects. The most important national projects:
- New technologies of preparation and applications of iron oxide based nanoparticles for environmental, industrial and medical applications (GAAV, KAN115600801, 2008-2012, 45 mil. Kc - a leader of the project)
- Centre of the research in powdered nanomaterials (MøMT, 1M6198959201, 2005-2009, 87 mil. Kc - scientific coordinator of the Centre, co-author of the project)
- Imunonanotechnologies for diagnostics of compounds of the hormonal nature (GAAV, KAN200380801, 2008-2012, 30 mil. Kc - collaborator of the project, co-author of the project)
Oral presentations, invited talks at world symposia and international conferences:
More than 20 oral presentations and/or invited talks at international conferences and symposia, e.g.:
- International Symposium on the Industrial Applications of M ssbauer Effect-ISIAME 00, Virginia Beach, USA, August 13-18, 2000.
- Asia-Pacific Symposium on Radiochemistry, APSORC 01, Fukuoka, Japan, October 30-November 2, 2001.
- NATO Advanced Research Workshop on Material Research in Atomic Scale by M ssbauer Spectroscopy, Smolenice, Slovak Republic, June 1-6, 2002.
- 10th International Symposium on Metastable, Mechanically Alloyed and Nanocrystalline Materials -ISMANAM03, Foz do Iguacu, Brasil, August 24-28, 2003.
- 10th Castle Meeting on Paleo, Rock and Environmental Magnetism, Valtice, Czech Republic, September 3-8, 2006 (invited talk, participants from 25 countries)
- International Conference on the Applications of the M ssbauer Effect - Kanpur, India, October 14-19, 2007 (invited talk, participants from more than 50 countries)
- International Symposium on the Industrial Applications of M ssbauer Effect - ISIAME 08, Budapest, Hungary, August, 2008.
1998 - Prize of Minister of Education of the Czech Republic for the works in the field of thermal decomposition of ferrous sulfate heptahydrate
Membership in scientific societies, reviewer activities:
A member of the American Chemical Society and Czech Chemical Society. In the last years, I acted as a reviewer for more than 20 international journals including Journal of the American Chemical Society (IF07=7.885), Inorganic Chemistry (IF07=4.040), Langmuir (IF07=4.009), Chemistry of Materials (IF07=4.88), Journal of Materials Chemistry (IF07=4.339), Carbon (IF07=4.26), Nanotechnology (IF07=3.331), Applied Catalysis A - General (IF07=3.166), Polymer (IF07=3.065).
10 selected publications:
- K. Kluchova, R. Zboril et al. Superparamagnetic maghemite nanoparticles from solid-state synthesis as peroral MRI contrast agent and carrier for trypsin immobilization, Biomaterials 30 (2009) 2855-2863. IF07~6.262
- A.B. Bourlinos, V. Georgakilas, R. Zboril, A. Bakandritsos, A. Stassinopoulos, D. Anglos, E. P. Giannelis: Pyrolytic formation and photoluminescence properties of a new layered carbonaceous material with graphite oxide-mimicking characteristics, Carbon 47 (2009) 519-526. IF07~4.262
- V. Belessi, D. Lambropoulou, I. Konstantinou, R. Zboril, J. Tucek, D. Jancik, T. Albanis and D. Petridis: Structure, photocatalytic performance of magnetically separable titania photocatalysts for the degradation of propachlor, Appl. Catal. B: Environ. 87 (2009) 181-189. IF07~4.651
- A. Bakandritsos, N. Bouropoulos, R. Zboril, K. Iliopoulos, N. Boukos, G. Chatzikyriakos, S. Couris: Optically active spherical polyelectrolyte brushes with a nanocrystalline magnetic core, Adv. Funct. Mater. 18 (2008) 1694-1706. IF07~7.496
- A.B. Bourlinos, A. Stassinopoulos, D. Anglos, R. Zboril, M. Karakassides, E.P. Giannelis: Surface functionalized carbogenic quantum dots, Small 4 (2008) 455-458. IF07~6.408
- M. Hermanek, R. Zboril: Polymorphous exhibitions of iron(III) oxide during isothermal oxidative decompositions of iron salts - a key role of the powder layer thickness, Chem. Mater. 20 (2008) 5284-5295. IF07~4.883
- V. Belessi, R. Zboril, J. Tucek, M. Mashlan, V. Tzitzios, D. Petridis: Ferrofluids from magnetitechitosan hybrids, Chem. Mater. 20 (2008) 3298-3305. IF07~4.883
- J. Filip, R. Zboril, O. Schneeweiss, J. Zeman, M. Cernik, P. Kvapil, M. Otyepka: Environmental applications of chemically-pure natural ferrihydrite from draining waters, Environ. Sci. Technol. 41 (2007) 4367- 4374. IF07~4.363
- M. Hermanek, R. Zboril, I. Medrik, J. Pechousek, C. Gregor: Catalytic efficiency of iron(III) oxides in decomposition of hydrogen peroxide: competition between surface area and crystallinity of nanoparticles, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 129 (2007) 10929-10936. IF07~7.885
- L. Machala, R. Zboril, A. Gedanken: Amorphous iron(III) oxide - a review, J. Phys. Chem. B 111, 4003-4018 (2007). IF07~4.086